It isn’t often that I write a post that isn’t chock full of sarcasm or witty banter (if I do say so myself). But today, I had a revelation. Ok, I lied. The revelation happened months ago but I wanted to tell you about it today. It’s simple, really. When my two boys wake up, they tell me they are hungry. We head downstairs and choose from what seems like too many options for breakfast. We eat. We clean up. We play. They tell me they are hungry for a snack. We head to the pantry so they can pick out of the options in the snack bucket. Soon lunch time arrives… you get the idea. Not once have I ever wondered what I will feed my kids. Not once have I been concerned that they aren’t getting enough to eat and how it will affect their minds while learning. I know, I know… you are thinking it’s a #firstworldproblem. But BOOM! There’s the revelation. There are kids in my neighborhood, in my city, who may not have the options for breakfast. They may not have ANY options for breakfast or lunch or dinner. BOOM. It just kind of smacks you in the face, right? How is that ok?
It’s not ok. There are children everyday that we interact with who may not have enough to eat. There are teachers I know who want to bring snacks or breakfast for kids who aren’t able to afford or able to bring their own. Those teachers are heros, by the way. Unsung heros. But it’s not about that. It’s about the fact that my kiddo told me “Mom, a few of my friends in school don’t get to eat breakfast. I get breakfast, Mom. I’m pretty lucky.” Yep, kiddo you are lucky.
The rumbling in my soul is the need to help those less fortunate. The rumbling in their tummies is a different story.
So help me. Help the kids who need a little hero in their life. Join me in the fight to erase Childhood Hunger.
Over 8,000 restaurants have signed up to participate in the Dine Out For No Kid Hungry from coast to coast. Now, we need your help in making sure that you, your friends, and your family make the event a success by visiting participating restaurants during the month of September, especially the week of Sept. 16-21.
To start the week with a bang, we’re holding a TwEAT OUT all day on Monday, Sept. 16. Join in the fun and help spread the word about Dine Out For No Kid Hungry on Twitter and Facebook!
When: Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, 9 a.m.—9 p.m. ET
What: twEAT OUT for No Kid Hungry
How to Participate:
- Sign up on Thunderclap to spread the #NoKidHungry message simultaneously on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr: www.nokidhungry.org/thunder
- Check out the full list of resources at https://www.nokidhungry.org/page/goorange.
- On Twitter:
- Follow @DineOutNKH and @NoKidHungry, and retweet messages about the Dine Out for No Kid Hungry from those two accounts.
- Use the hashtag, #NoKidHungry, in all your tweets.
- Sample messages:
- On Facebook:
- “Like” the No Kid Hungry Facebook page.
- Share news about Dine Out For No Kid Hungry with your Facebook friends:
- Share this: Love food? Love #NoKidHungry? Join thousands of restaurants coast to coast and dine out for No Kid Hungry! Visit nokidhungry.org to find a restaurant near you.
- Share this: Join us! September 16 we’ll eat, tweet, and help end childhood hunger! On Twitter? Join us in the twEAT Out for #NoKidHungry!
Join me. Be a hero.